Sunday, February 23, 2014

DIY Elastic Hair Ties

You know those hair ties that have been in style recently? The ones made of the flat elastic that cost somewhere around $12 for a package of 5? Well, I bought a few packages of those before I realized that it was so easy to make my own. I simply went to this Etsy shop and bought a bulk package of the elastic material (called fold-over elastic) and cut and tied it. There are some great deals in this shop--I got one yard of five different colors of elastic for $2.75+$2.00 shipping. I can make about three to four hair ties with each yard of elastic, which means I could potentially make 20 hair ties for less than five dollars! You can even make stretchy headbands, hair ties with beads, and other neat things with it.

When I first got my package, this is what the elastic looked like:


After cutting, tying, and using a lighter to seal the ends (bring the flame close to the elastic, but don't touch it!) this is what my elastics looked like:



These make cheap and beautiful gifts, and look great on your hair and wrist.



Have fun making, and hopefully you'll never have to spend another dime on store-bought elastics again!
P.S. If you know me, please ask about buying some hair ties from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment