Monday, February 17, 2014

How to Create Matte Nails with Steam

If you're like me, you like painting your nails for fun sometimes. Personally, I've always liked nude/pale colors--less is more, right? Recently I experimented with mattifying nails using steam, a great look if you want your nails to be a little more toned-down. It's super quick and easy. Just paint your first coats of polish on, and grab a pot of water!

Here are my nails before mattifying:



Now boil a pot of water. When steam starts coming out, you're ready!



Paint on either a top coat or another coat of the color you've been using. Quickly, hold your hand over the pan for a few seconds, rotating your hand so the steam hits all angles of your nails.




See the difference!



Tips:
  • Make sure to rotate your hand while it's over the pot. Some of my nails ended up being part-matte and part-shiny because I didn't do this.
  • Don't leave your nails over the pot for too long because water will condense and bubbles will form. Hold your nails over the pot for a few seconds, then remove your hand so that steam can dry, then repeat.
  • Don't burn yourself! 
In this tutorial I used Revlon Nail Enamel in Elegant and Sally Hanson Diamond Strength in Flawless (clear).

No comments:

Post a Comment