Sunday, April 6, 2014

DIY Spring Tank from Old T-Shirt

With spring here (or coming and going in intervals), I've been starting to think about more summery and hot weather outfits to wear. Recently, I've bought a circle skirt, maxi dress, and spring shirts to wear. But as always, I still have a ton of old t-shirts that I'm not particularly eager to wear. That's why I've been researching ways to refashion old shirts into more attractive spring/summer clothes. Here's an idea for turning an old t-shirt into a tank!


Simply find an old t-shirt with a design you don't mind wearing, and cut off parts of the collar, sleeves, and bottom hem.

I achieved the final product through a lot of trial and error, and you may have to do that too since everyone's body shape is different and different cuts may look good on different people. 

In general, you want to cut off the collar of the shirt completely, but the width of the cut depends on personal preference. My straps are about 2 inches wide, and are cut pretty close to the original seam of the sleeves. I also made the arm openings similar to those of a racerback tank, so I cut a little more in the back than the front.

As for the bottom, I cut more on the front than the back, and cut a little slit on each side. Make the cut on the front rounded up and the cut on the back rounded down.

Stretch each border so the cotton curls and creates somewhat of a "seam". 

Optional: I added kind of an accent on the front collar: I did it simply by cutting three slits horizontally, each one smaller than the one before:


As always, stretch the fabric so the edges look cleaner!
Here I am, modeling the final product:



And if you're not quite ready to wear just a tank (I sure am not!), then layer it with a jean jacket or chambray shirt.


And there it is! Have fun making your own DIY tank :)

No comments:

Post a Comment